prof. Ing. Jiří HOMOLA, CSc.
Institute of Photonics and Electronics of the AS CR, v. v. i., Prague, Czech Republic, EU
Specialization: Optical sensors and Biosensors
Position: Director of the Institute of Photonics and Electronics, Academy of Sciences of Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic, EU
Jiří Homola received MSc. degree from the Faculty of Nuclear Physics and Physical Engineering of the Czech Technical University in Prague (1988), Ph.D. and DSc. degree from the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic (1993 in 2009). He is also Affiliate Professor at the University of Washington, Seattle (USA), Adjunct Professor at the University of Oulu (Finland), and Associate Professor at Charles University in Prague (Czech Republic). He received The Praemium Academiae (Prague, Czech Republic, 2011), The Czech Brain Award for Invention (Prague, Czech Republic, 2009), The Roche Prize for Sensor Technology (Tuebingen, Germany, 2006) and The Otto Wichterle Award (Prague, Czech Republic, 2003).
Research interests and expertise:
Jiří Homola’s research interests are in photonics and biophotonics with emphasis on optical sensors and biosensors. Jiří Homola is a Senior Member of IEEE and Fellow of SPIE—The International Society for Optical Engineering. He holds 7 patents.
Jiří Homola has been principal investigator of co-principal investigator of more than 25 research grants. Currently, he is a coordinator of a centre of excellence Nanobiophotonics for future health care.
Jiří Homola edited 2 books, published over 110 papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals and delivered over 50 invited lectures at international conferences. These include:
- J. Homola (editor): Surface Plasmon Resonance Based Sensors, Springer, 2006.
- J. Homola: Surface plasmon resonance sensors for detection of chemical and biological species, Chemical Reviews, 108, 462-493 (2008).
- K. Hegnerová, M. Piliarik, M. Šteinbachová, Z. Flegelová, H. Černohorská, J. Homola: Detection of bisphenol A using a novel surface plasmon resonance biosensor, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 398, 1963–1966 (2010).
- M. Piliarik, P. Kvasnička, N. Galler, J. R. Krenn, J. Homola: Local refractive index sensitivity of plasmonic nanoparticles, Optics Express, 19, 9213–9220 (2011).
- P. Kvasnička, K. Chadt, M. Vala, M. Bocková and J. Homola: Towards single-molecule detection with sensors based on propagating surface plasmons, Optics Letters, 37, 163–165 (2012).
His publications generated ~ 7,000 citations.